FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I am at my wits end!

<<

1mtnhiker

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: I am at my wits end!

Thanks for the info. It's the IPhone that I terminated but will terminate the small cell tomorrow. that is the one with the contract. I will call in the am to see what they have on record, get a name, etc. It just never ends with them.

Your sound advice and website are very instrumental in keeping me going.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm always glad to help! :D

~M
<<

1mtnhiker

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:03 pm

I am so excited. I just received a call from a Harvard Law student. Someone gave her my name and number but I have not idea who. She answered so many questions I had about the best way to proceed with my case in court. This was like the frosting on the cake. I feel I have a real plan now to present the guts of the case up front. I don't want to frustrate the judge. I am going to label each document in magic marker numerically so when I am speaking the judge can follow along and make sense of it. The important parts of each page are highlighted so h/she can go right to them. It should be very clear at the end.
I don't want to settle out of court with Verizon and now I don't have to fear getting a call from their lawyers beforehand. I can just say "My decsion is made and I will see you in court on such and such a date." She told me there may be time at the end for me to share a few highlights of how I was treated by Verizon . I will include in the judge's packet Verizon's totally screwed up reply to my AG mediator but won't bring it up in court unless there is time. I have all the corrections documented in red ink on that letter. She also told me that I only need to give the judge the documents and I am not required to to provide anything to V lawyers. I had a folder for each of us. This totally made my day! If they don't show up I will be heartbroken because I want to tell my story to the judge. They need to know how awful these people are. I suppose there is a slim chance the judge might not understand the big mess but win or lose, it's how you play the game that counts. It's coming up fast....10/23. I could not have gotten this far without your help. I will be forever grateful.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:09 am

Small Claims is very different than a regular court room.

The first step is that they usually call out everyone's name who is there to have a case settled. There might be 20 people sitting around in a room waiting to have their case heard. If someone is not present, then the case is automatically decided in favor of the party who showed up.

If both parties do show, then you will usually be asked to go outside and see if you can mediate what your problem is without having to go before the judge. When I went against AT&T, AT&T sent a rep who agreed to give me everything I asked for, so I was quite happy with the outcome.

If you can't work it out, then you will be called in explain your case.

No matter what, I hope it works out for you. Please let us know what happens!

~M
<<

1mtnhiker

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Could I refuse to negotiate with Verizon if they direct us to try to work it out? I have negotiated for months all to no avail. I put a lot of work into preparing for this, sleepless night, sorting thru bills, bank statements, receipts, having my credit disgraced, harrassment, threats, and now they just get to say OK and walk away like nothing happened? I would get $150 back which includes the court cost and I doubt they would give me a statement to repair my tarnished credit report. They might say they will but I no longer believe a word coming out of their mouths.

I do have great news. I AM NO LONGER A VERIZON CUSTOMER. Had bought a new IPHONE and TMobile was my server but today I transferred my flip phone to them as well. I received a bill for $66 the last 2 months for a phone which they told me would be no more than $30/mo. I wanted very basic because it sits in a drawer and is only a backup for emergencies. I was paying $76 for the IPHONE and now they increased my rate to from $30 to $66 for a flip phone? I am paying $60/mo at Tmobile for my smart phone. This is nuts. I was going to terminate flip phone after the court day so I could continued to have access to my bills. They are all printed so I sayanara to Verizon. Good riddance. T Mobile is paying off the contract. This has been by far the most obnoxious, disgusting experience I have ever had with a business in my entire life.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Definitely do not refuse the opportunity to work it out for two reasons.

First of all, it may just be a rep who is willing to give you exactly what you want as in my case. They are really just a messenger.

Secondly the judge or mediator doesn't know anything about you, so he/she may get a negative impression of you from the very start and you don't want that.

~M
<<

1mtnhiker

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks. Good advice! My gut was telling me I would have to go along but it was worth posing the question and removing all doubt that I might have that option.

The transfer from Verizon to T mobile for my "emergency use" flip phone was suppose take ~ 2 hrs. I called "B" at Tmobile several times and they were doing their best to deal with it yesterday. This morning that darn phone is still up and working with Verizon! The new TMobile flip phone is working also has been working from the get go. Nothing Verizon does comes as a surprise. And I bet they are charging me every minute they are providing me with a signal. T Mobile is buying it out so I am not too worried. Another brand new day dealing with Verizon BS! Regardless of outcome, the 23rd cannot come soon enough.

I am going to bring an extra folder with all the info for the V lawyer in the event the judge asks if I have one, but I will not offer it up unless he requests me to do so.

Always a big thank you for your help!
<<

1mtnhiker

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:42 pm

GREAT NEWS! Today was my big court day and Verizon never even made an appearance. I won the case by default and I am ecstatic. In one sense I would have liked the opportunity to tell it to the magistrate. As I reviewed all my paper work yesterday I thought my chances of winning this were excellent, but now there is no looking back. It's a done deal. Peace at last. TMobile is paying off my flip phone contract so I am done with Verizon forever. If they do not pay me the money the court deals with them. While waiting we the plaintiffs were are having conversations. I didn't offer it up but when asked I mentioned I was taking Verizon to court. The replies were universal. "Good for you, I hate Verizon." Even the police at the door who check you for weapons said it. On my way out they congratulated me.

The court was not intimidating at all. The magistrate was very nice, and explained everything to us. We were given the opportunity to try to settle it with the defense and a mediator was availblbe if needed. It was completely up to us and some declined. After hearing this, I would have declined also explaining that I had been trying to resolve it for 6 months and needed the courts help. In this court, it did not appear they would hold it against you one way or the other. She seemed to appreciate that some of us had given it a valiant effort with no results. There was no pressure. Some tried to work out and were not successful. Others did have good results.

Doing this consumed a big part of my life for many months. All the calls, the research, gathering documents, printing, reviewing, and seeking advice. I am so grateful for this site because I could not have gotten this far without it. I was really "at my wit's end" with this nonsense. Was it all worth it for $114?. YES! It isn't a large sum of money but Verizon should not be allowed to get away with the treating people so poorly over and over again. They do their utmost to wear you down and intimidate you into giving them money that is not owed them. When I D/C my IPhone service, they doubled the bill for my flip phone, It was $33/ mo and now it's $66/ month. I transferred it straight off to TMobile a few weeks back. I had emphasized when I got that flip phone that it was for emergency use only and did not want to ever pay more than ~ $30/mo total. "No problem: they replied. WE can accommodate that. It surely didn't last long. My IPhone was not under contract so I had every right to cancel but they merely doubled the cost of the flip phone per month. That had a 2 yr contract so I would have been back in court again. This is nuts.

I was wondering if there is any point to documenting all of what happened to me to the FCC, not because I need help with a resolution but to make them aware of what thieves these people are. I am going to forward the report to my AG rep so he can add it to my file. It will serve them well if they bring a class action suit against Verizon. Is there anyone else I should report it to? The FTC? Anything to help the cause.

A million more thanks for helping. You are doing us all a very great service. In a years time Verizon will lose $2000. It's a drop in the bucket but every drop counts.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm always so glad to hear when things work out like this. If everyone would take them to task, there would likely be some changes on their end.

As for sending things to the FCC, the better way to effect a change is simply to encourage others to follow in your footsteps. It was cheaper for Verizon to hope that you would simply give up, but if everyone who was getting screwed just went to Small Claims to get their monies, it would make a real dent in their business.

Nice job :D

~M
<<

1mtnhiker

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm back! As could have been predicted, Verizon did not reimburse me the $$$ that I was awarded when they did not show up in court 8 weeks ago. On my court paper it states there is a "payment hearing" at 12 noon on 12/22 so I checked with the clerk and she said I should show up at the date and time, and Verizon also received the same notification after they failed to show up on 10/23. I plan on being there but do you have any idea what that procedure is? Will I have to present any part of my case and what happens if they do not show up again. From what I read on the back of the original court document, it states that if someone is can afford to paying and they do not do so, they can be fined and/or imprisoned. I like that idea! Can they just continue to not pay up and get away wit it? I cannot believe they will show up on 12/22. It seems very unlikely to me.

BTW I LOVE T Mobile. They paid my contract ($175) for the small "emergency only " cell phone and did so in a timely way. The IPHONE fortunately had an expired contract. You can always speak to a human who does their very best to answer questions you might have. It's like night and day. It's been wonderful doing business with them.
PreviousNext

Return to Verizonpathetic