FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Seeking Info

<<

CaleraCowboy

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Seeking Info

My mother recently moved to a rural area in Alabama and her only option for internet service was through Verizon MiFi (not sure of the exact details yet). She signed up for 30 gig data a month package that was priced around $130 a month. Her first month bill was correct.

Today during her second month of service, her internet and phone service stop working (I think it's a bundle), she calls customer service and they claim that she owes $1810.00 dollars. My mother, who is in her 70's, gives them her credit card number to get her service turned back on. She emails me detailing this story and I believe it a scam. I call her and She says she has been on the phone with from 12 noon to 2:30 in the afternoon and that they say the charges are for Netflix downloading and are legit.

I asked her if she received any notice of exceeding her bandwidth usage and she says she was notified last week that it was at 90% but had not gone over yet. She is beside herself as am I.

I have not seen her bills or account details yet, but plan on doing so this evening. If the charges are legit, is their any hope for recourse. It seems to me that they are just taking advantage of a senior citizen. $1810.00 is just mind blowing.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:44 pm

Re: Seeking Info

Was she downloading movies on her iPad or something? So they sent a notice that she was at 90%, but nothing saying that she was over?

Let me know those answers and I'll give you my thoughts.

~M
<<

CaleraCowboy

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Thanks for such a quick response/reply. I will give details soon, on my way there now. Details probably tomorrow. Thanks again M.
<<

CaleraCowboy

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:15 am

The mystery get's deeper.

My mother finally got another " supervisor" on the line that advised her to disconnect the modem and that he was issuing a "Diamond Ticket" but that he was a temporary supervisor and that the "real" supervisor was on vacation and would not be back till Tuesday. They will call her then. She got his name and number but he said he was off till Tuesday as well. So now my mom has let them charge 1810.00 to her credit card to keep her services on - yet now she has disconnected her internet to her home.

I get to my home and sign into her account and sure enough. They have charged her credit card 1810.00. Unbelievable. Her plan as I stated before was 30 gig a month and an additional $10 per gig, if over that. They show here using 212 gigs last month. On a crappy less than 2mbps at best connection. I download her usage data which she said she went over with multiple people and there is a 2 day period....48 hours, where they claim/show she has downloaded/streamed 142 gigs of data with entries of 20, 19, 18, 17 gigs being used at the exact same minutes on the 2 days - once at 4 in morning and again in the afternoon. The time of the entries is to the minute.

I am no computer scientist, so I check a website that calculates download times based on connection speeds at

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html

According to that calculator it would take 200 hours of continuous uninterrupted perfect streaming/ downloading on a perfect system in a perfect world. I checked her speed when she first got it with several speed tests ookla and others and she maxed out at 1.6 mbps. Something is very wrong.

In the meantime my mom has no internet. They charged and collected 1810.00 from her... and they are not even calling back till the middle of next week. She doesn't want to contact her credit card and stop the charge because the account is bundled in with her IPhone. She admits to streaming Netflix everday but only a few shows of old hbo shows and what not. She has not changed her viewing habits in the last month. She showed me the 90% of acct warnings she was getting. I am not exaggerating when I said she had about 100 of them and she said she just started deleting them. The last one came to her yesterday before she paid the bill and it still stated she was still at 90%.

All of the gigantic data charges just started appearing since 8/8 and from then to now that little machine says she has used 180 gig plus worth of data over her plan - hence the $1810.00 bill.

This is so wrong. What do you think we should do. I have the data dump if you would like to see it.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:46 am

I generally have people start with the number at the bottom of this page: http://www.verizonpathetic.com/faqinfo.html. It's their escalation line which brings you to someone with authority who often genuinely wants to help versus the monkeys at the franchises.

If you get nowhere with that, then you should file a complaint with the Attorney General's office in your state or file a Small Claims action at the local courthouse. Both of those actions may sound like a lot of work and intimidating, but they are not at all. They are both very simple and odds are your mother will at least get back a large portion of her bill.

Please let me know how things proceed.

~M
<<

CaleraCowboy

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:02 am

We will definitely do that. We will start with the Verizon number, and escalate if no help. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know what happens..
<<

CaleraCowboy

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Hey M, Thanks so much for your help. That is a magical number we will keep. After weeding through all the menus they give you I got a Deana on the phone and she was very helpful and they credited the account back the full amount. $1810.00. I was nice and Deana was nice and she got her supervisor involved.

My only concern is that it will happen again. I probed about if they should send somebody to come look at it and they said to just unplug the modem every so often and let it reboot. Mom is back on the internet and we checked her account and they did credit it all back. We will definitely be keeping an eye on the usage charges. No one could give answer as to how it had or could happen. I don't think they even know, so we will be wary for a while.

But, again; my mom and me thank you. Keep up the good work. Case closed I hope. You get a Gold Star!
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Wow...if only EVERY issue were that easy to fix. I'm so glad it worked out.

My own suggestion would be to find another carrier. Are there any other options for wireless access?

~M
<<

CaleraCowboy

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:09 pm

We are doing that - and there may be one other option; albeit it's ATT and , well you know. If we have any further problems out of Verizon I am sure we will begrudgingly pay the massive cancellation of contract fee - something like $350 my mom was told.

Thanks again for the help. You are providing a great service/site here.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:30 pm

If you want to get out of the wireless contract, there's an answer for that as well :D http://www.verizonpathetic.com/faqcontract.html

~M
Next

Return to Verizonpathetic