FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Jacked on Data - Sorry it's so long...

<<

Elsinore

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Jacked on Data - Sorry it's so long...

We are, most unfortunately, Verizon customers. My husband has a post paid phone and I have a prepaid. We also have a Verizon Jetpack. If there was ANY other choice, I would jump on it.
The stupid Jetpack started with 10 gigs of data. At first we were under that. Then it started going over, even though we were pretty sure we weren't changing our usage. We upped to the 20 gig plan. After a few months that started going over (at 15.00 a gig). Eventually we went to the 40 gig plan. After a few months we started going over that!

In June we were again over and I tried (as I had many times in the past) to get somewhere with Verizon. They blame everything but themselves - my neighbors (1/2 mile away), we watch a lot of videos (no we don't), our computers were doing downloads (we are off grid - when the batteries on the computers are dead, they are dead). They suggested I track the websites I go to so we could prove we weren't using the data - but of course, when I showed the data my records weren't acceptable.

Calling Verizon is a full time job. It takes 10 minutes just to get through the prepaid phone hoopla (no matter what Verizon number you call it always kicks you into the prepaid auto attendant, just in case you don't know that your bill is 50.00 a month - always, because it's prepaid). Once you reach a person, IF you reach a person, you have to get transferred to Jetpack tech support, who spends time blaming you for it going over. The only thing they will tell me is that "we watch a lot of video" or "do lots of downloads". I have asked repeatedly for proof - a list of the websites we are supposedly visiting. If, by some bizarre chance, we are using the data, I have to know what sites are using it, right? How else can I stop the bleeding if I don't know where it's happening?

Verizon employees are all well trained in blaming, but this time they blame the FCC. Supposedly they can't give us the list of websites because the FCC won't permit it because it's a violation of privacy. Not true, according to the FCC. I've also heard they don't keep track of them. Maybe there's someone stupid enough to believe they aren't tracking everything we do but I'm not one of those people.

At the end of June, I filed a report with the FCC about the overcharging and refusal to provide a list of websites. I received an email from Verizon, offering a 120.00 credit, as a way of consoling me, but of course, Verizon had done nothing wrong. I emailed back asking how the 120.00 would stop future overcharging. I also pointed out that 120.00 didn't come close to what we had already been over billed. I received no response email and we never got the credit.

In July, our data skyrocketed, even though we were Draconian about not using it. By the end of the month, we were 15 gigs over. I believe it was punishment for the FCC complaint. I was on the phone constantly, complaining to Verizon. It's amazing how incompetent their employees are when it comes to transferring phone calls - I was probably disconnected 9 times out of 10 calls. Accident? I doubt it. Eventually, my prepaid phone mysteriously was reported as stolen and shut off.

I filed another complaint with the FCC and this is what I got back:
** The goal of the FCC’s informal complaint process is to make it easy for consumers to file complaints about telecommunications services and for service providers to address those complaints. This process also helps to ensure that, even when a service provider’s actions do not violate any applicable Commission rule, the provider knows how its customers feel about practices and policies that they believe are harmful to them.

In this instance, however, we regret that you were not satisfied with attempts by FCC staff to facilitate a more satisfactory resolution of the underlying issue. At this point, you might want to contact the company directly to see if you and the company can arrive at a resolution that is more acceptable to you. You will receive no further status on your complaint from FCC staff.**

So it looks like the FCC is not going to be of any use.

Do you have any suggestions? I've gone through a lot on your website (thank you for creating it!) and have ideas about how to dispute the overcharging. But I really just want a printout of the websites they say we've gone to - how can I get that?
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:04 pm

Re: Jacked on Data - Sorry it's so long...

Sorry to hear about your woes, Elsinore.

Let's start with step 1. Did you try calling the number at the bottom of this page? http://www.verizonpathetic.com/faqinfo.html. It allows you to bypass the monkeys at the bottom and get to someone who can make a decision higher up the food chain.

Once you have tried contacting them through that number, post back with an update.

~M
<<

Elsinore

Post Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I did try calling the 800 483 7988 number. I got a recording that asked for a pin number. I also tried calling the 908 306 7000 number but that office is closed until Monday.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:06 am

Try the other number tomorrow and see if you get anywhere. If not, then we go to step #2.

What state do you live in?

~M
<<

Elsinore

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:35 pm

I called the 908 number. I actually got to talk to a person. However, after explaining my situation, the rep said she was very sorry but she couldn't help me other than having the techs run a ticket to determine if there has been a billing error (been there, done that, lots of times). In the end, she said she was very sorry but we have used the data and we'll have to pay for it. She told me privacy laws would not allow them to receive a printout of the websites we use data on. When I pointed out that the FCC told me there is no law that stops them from providing customer information to the customer, she told me the only way I could get the printout is by subpoena. And she was sorry. And that's where it ended.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 pm

How rotten.

What state do you live in? I'll need to know in order to escalate this to phase 2.

~M
<<

Elsinore

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Sorry I forgot to post that. I'm in Ohio.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Here is the contact for the Public Utilities Commission in Ohio: http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/Contact-Us/#sthash.Pvk8qFqr.dpbs. Give them a call and see if they have any pull with Verizon wireless or if it's only with landlines. If so, ask them what the best way is to proceed.

The second piece is to visit this page and follow the links at the bottom: http://www.verizonpathetic.com/faqcredit.html. When you involve the Federal Trade Commission, things will get very uncomfortable for VZ. They may be able to push around one person, but the FTC will push them around.

After you have had conversations with both of those agencies, please post back.

~M

Return to Verizonpathetic