FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Beware of Verizon Fraud

<<

cinemage

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:07 am

Beware of Verizon Fraud

So, it looks like this is where I can find some peace and consolation. Thank you, Verizonpathetic.com.

This is how my story goes. Last Friday, I pick up my credit report and find a negative collections account from Verizon. The amount wasn't big, but it stated that I owed Verizon money and that it was sent over to a Collections agency. Well, this made no sense, because I never had an account with Verizon. I chase down Verizon and contact their customer service, billing, finance, corporate headquarters, regional president, everyone I can speak to. I probably spent a total of 3 hours talking to human-robots, all saying the same thing, routing me over to another dept then putting me on hold - I finally got fed up so asked for a supervisor, but the answer was always, "there isn't one available now but I can put in a request for one to call you," and of course they never call. After my numerous calls with about 10 reps, I was able to piece together some basic facts: the negative account showing up on my report had an address that was not mine. It was in the same apartment complex but not the unit number I lived in. The name was similar, but it was not the same. And during the lifespan of the account, I wasn't even living in that apartment complex because I had moved out to another part of the city. When I figured all this out (on my own by the way), I naively believed that the mystery was solved and that Verizon would undo their mistake instantly, as any normal person with a functioning brain would. But nope, that wasn't going to happen. As all of you on this forum are well aware, Verizon doesn't like to admit their mistakes. They love to blame it on others. In my case, they insist that it's a Fraud case, that someone used my name and credentials to open an account with them. They are asking me to file a police report, so that they can find the person. Basically, they want me to find their account holder who owes them a few hundred dollars for not returning their equipment (this is my assumption on what's going on).

In any case, I am still fighting and arguing my case. I have made numerous calls to the executive offices and supervisors. I have also contacted the credit bureau to dispute the negative account showing up on my report from Verizon. (I was told that they have sent an inquiry to Verizon and if they don't respond within 30 days, the negative account will be removed by law.)

My story is still ongoing, and so are my frustrations; but, I am determined to make this right. Even if I have to take legal actions and fight it that way.

Lastly, reading some of the posts on this forum, I am truly sad and angry, but I also feel a little empowered knowing that I am not the only one in this fight. Thanks for listening and giving me a little more hope on humanity!
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:21 am

Re: Beware of Verizon Fraud

Well, you have done the right thing taking the steps you took and I can pretty much guarantee that your credit will be set after the 30 days elapses.

Verizon is a big machine that does not appear to invest a great in resolving certain problems, this being one of them. What I find extremely disappointing is that it's obvious it is a fraud case and Verizon has the ability to take you out of the equation. I had T-Mobile a long time ago and had the EXACT same thing happen. Two accounts were opened up using my SSN number. It was back when they didn't verify things. Long story short, they acted and got it off of my credit report immediately.

By contacting the credit bureaus, as you were told, Verizon has 30 days to challenge it. What are they going to say? "Yes, we know it's not him, but we still want him to pay." Idiots.

Be sure to post back so that we know it's resolved.

~M
<<

cinemage

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:10 pm

I am happy to report that my issue has since been resolved. I received confirmation from the credit bureau that the Verizon acct was deleted from my report. However, no one from Verizon has confirmed for me that they made an error or that the issue has been resolved. Figures! I plan to check my report again end of the year, to make sure this false acct doesn't reappear.

For anyone going through a similar misery, here are the steps I took. Hopefully this will lead you to a happy ending like mine. Best of luck!

- If a false Verizon acct shows up on your credit report, first and foremost, dispute the error to the credit bureau, via online or call.
- contact Verizon Collections (or aka In-House Recovery Dept) at 877-325-5156, and explain/demand them to fix the error. Give them the acct info, your name.
- they will ask you to fax over proof for them to investigate, their fax # is 888-672-2876.
- keep track of the date & name of the rep you speak to.
- ALWAYS ask for a supervisor, so they know you want to escalate the issue.
- send an email to the regional president via their website, demand Verizon to fix the issue. they can push the button to get a supervisor call you directly. I received a call back within a day.
- stay calm and keep track of everyone you speak to and be patient. Keep escalating your issue and do NOT back down until they fix the error.
- And as a reminder, ALWAYS check your credit report, at least once a year, it's free!
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:14 am

Another happy ending :D

~M

Return to Verizonpathetic