FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SCREWED AGAIN

<<

lee1037

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:09 pm

SCREWED AGAIN

This is my second run in with Verizon so I don't expect any sympathy. I should have learned what predators Verizon are after the first time.
I took a single flip phone and upgraded to two new smart phones. The billing should have been $30.00 for data plus $20.00 for each line access giving me a basic total of $70.00 before taxes/fees. Instead I'm being billed $40.00 each for line access which over the course of a two year contract will be an extra $960.00. When I called to question this I was told I could have avoided the extra $40.00 a month by doing a device payment plan. I countered that I didn't choose this plan it was what their online sales rep hooked me up with it. I still don't know why he did it because I very specifically said that I was looking for the most economical plan because we are not data users away from home and we use phones to call people.
Their solution to the problem was that I would have to return the two phones and then rebuy them under a different contract, (I'm not making this up) however they have a 14 day return policy and both phones missed that window, one by two days and one by a week so I would have to buy out the contact. After speaking to four different people, the last claiming to be a supervisor, I was told that no one has the authority to override or make exceptions. I was assured that the sales rep would definitely receive some remedial training though. I came to this site hoping to find some method of recourse and maybe I did. If I gain anything with the 'special'
phone number I'll repost.
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:58 am

Re: SCREWED AGAIN

Yup, try the number and post back.

~M
<<

lee1037

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: SCREWED AGAIN

With Marcus' help a resolution has been found. I initially tried to call 800-483-7988 but for some very strange reason that we never figured out I was asked to submit a 4 digit number that was the last four of ten. Because I didn't know the ten digit number there was no way to input the last four so I was permanently blocked. Marcus provided a link that had an "Ethics" compliance phone number of 800-856-1885. With nothing to lose I dialed that number and talked to a woman who told me that they were a company contracted to Verizon and their purpose was to accept both customer and employee complaints, put them into a report form and forward them onto Verizon. I submitted my report and was given a report and pin number and was told to check back to verizonwireless.alertline.com in about two weeks.

The next day I received an email from Verizon giving me a name and number to contact Monday morning. The mans name is Daniel Reed and he works in the Verizon Wireless Executive relations office. The phone number is 916-589-7137 which would indicate he was in the Sacremento area but he said that in reality he was in the Los Angeles area. When I talked to him on Monday he said that he was responding to the complaint I had filed but after a few questions I realized he had not yet read the complaint and but wanted to hear it direct from me. After I told him what the situation was he said he'd look into it and get back to me in one or two days, and he did call the next day. What he found out was that I had accepted a discount for two new phones by agreeing to go under contract, which I had done, but by doing that I went under a different billing schedule that doubled my line access fee from $20 to $40 per month. I was discounted about $112 per phone but was being billed $480 more over the two year period. It sounds like a pure scam to me but he said it could work for somebody who was buying really expensive phones (a phone so expensive that the discount would have to be more than $480). At any rate, he agreed that I should have not even been offered a discount that didn't have a benefit and that as long as I was willing to pay full price for the phones the contract could be voided and the line access fee would go back to $20, which three people in customer service emphatically told me could never happen.

He solved my problem with no fanfare and adamantly insisted that there is no sinister plot to bilk the public. My experience says otherwise but he did say there was an escalation chain in place that will eventually get you the resolution you're looking for provided it's a legitimate complaint. According to him when I was told by the 3rd customer service rep that she was a supervisor and she was my last resort I should have gotten her name and any other identifiers and called her bluff and asked to speak with somebody with more authority. I would have liked to have tested that theory but since my problem has been resolved I'll leave that to somebody else. Anyway, as Marcus has pointed out, there are people who are willing to be fair but it apparently isn't at the customer service level. Don't waste your time with them. Just keep moving up.

Return to Verizonpathetic