FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Satisfactory resolution translate to lawsuit?

<<

Libmaven

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:23 am

Satisfactory resolution translate to lawsuit?

After months of wrangling with Verizon I have received a more than satisfactory offer to resolve my issue with them, close on the heels of mentioning 'going another route' for a resolution. I will post the details in the future. My question for now is, at what point might it be wise to investigate the possibility of a lawsuit. I have found no class actions for this particular issue. And is it possible or wise to make use of a private attorney or is my state Attorney General a good option?
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:17 am

Re: Satisfactory resolution translate to lawsuit?

I would need to hear the particulars to get an idea of whether or not the problem could be taken down that path.

When you get a chance, post the details.

~M
<<

Libmaven

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:37 pm

So I was a Verizon customer for 10-plus years when I decided to move to a smart phone. I found Straight Talk to be a good option at almost half the cost of Verizon. When I contacted Verizon to inform them I was cancelling my account, they offered to match Straight Talk's price. I decided to accept that offer but when I went to a local Verizon store they indicated they could not access the plan I was promised but they could put me on a different plan and the other plan would kick in in a few days. So, that's what I did. Needless to say, the promised plan never did kick in. After multiple phone calls to Verizon customer service, I decided to contact the BBB. This turned out to be a good option for me. I've been dealing with a local BBB liaison who has relayed my offers to Verizon and vice verse. In my dealings I have attempted to stay with the facts which, to me, were pretty clear-cut, and be persistent in that I felt Verizon should provide the credits to me which would equal the original deal I was offered. Eventually that's basically what occurred. I would think that it would be illegal for Verizon customer service to make a commitment to a customer, who then makes certain decisions based on that commitment, and then have them not follow through on that commitment. Just wondering if you know if any laws have been broke when this occurs?
<<

Libmaven

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:38 pm

broken
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:36 am

In order to do a class action, it would have to be more specific. Verizon and other businesses make promises all the time, however a class suit would have to have a narrower definition of how the class was wronged. For example, if everyone were being promised that particular package and it turned out to be a bait & switch as you have described, then that could be a possibility. It's unclear how often that specific situation occurs which would not entice a law firm to take the case. Law firms need to be pretty certain that there are a lot of people in the class in order to make it worth their time.

I think it's great that you pushed forward and got it straightened out. My hope is that this website and postings like yours will help others who are looking for ways to protect themselves against Verizon taking advantage of them.

~M
<<

Libmaven

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:42 am

Your website is a good resource. Thanks for keeping it going. I might suggest you add the Better Business Bureau as an option for folks looking for assistance with this type of thing. They seem to just act in the capacity of a liaison but it helps to have a local independent third party In the mix. I think they have locations in most larger cities.

Return to Verizonpathetic