FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Billed for Phone after returning phone as promised

<<

bxrlvr0527

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:31 am

Billed for Phone after returning phone as promised

My Fiance has had an account with Verizon for years. Recently, his phone stopped working soon after getting it. He was sold a different phone and told that it would be free upon sending his other phone back. They said they would send an addressed envelope for the return of the phone. Weeks went by with nothing. He received messages stating if he didn't return it, he would be charged $240. He called and told them he had not received the envelope, they apologized and said they would send it. A month went by and our phones were shut off for non-payment. He called, super mad, and they promised yet again they would send the envelope and turned our phones back on. We didn't receive anything AGAIN! A week went by and he called rather than waiting and they again said, we are so sorry, will send it out today. This time they did. We received it and sent the phone back. A few weeks went by and he again got a message stating he owed money for non return of the phone. He looked up the tracking information and saw it had been delivered the week before and so he called. They said they would look into it and get back to him. Never did. He just received another message stating payment must be made within 24 hours or phones would be shut off. He called and the rep said he owed the money anyway and it didn't matter that they had the other phone back, he was given wrong information and there is no reimbursement for returned phones, and there is nothing they could do for him. He can pay the $240 or cancel his plan and the buyout price is $800.
What can we do?
Attachments
VerizonMessage.png
VerizonMessage.png (193.09 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Billed for Phone after returning phone as promised

Wowwww....I have been doing this almost 20 years now and I never cease to be amazed at the rotten things that company does.

You have come to the right place if you don't mind doing a little bit of legwork here and there. Step 1 is always to try and use their escalation line that no one knows about http://www.verizonpathetic.com/faqinfo.html. Scroll to the bottom of that link and call the number at the bottom. I would say that about 70% of the time issues get resolved from calling this number. That's because VZ actually has someone answering the phone with some authority and they seem to actually care.

Give that a shot. If you get nowhere, then we will step it up. Please post back either way.

~M
<<

bxrlvr0527

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:32 am

Thank you so much! I called and all has been taken care of including the late fees, etc that had accrued from their incompetence! You are wonderful thank you thank you!

Kara
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:41 am

Great! Makes you wonder why people can't get that kind of service all the time :-)

~M
<<

bxrlvr0527

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Exactly, there is just no need for it. Also found out that the phone he was sold that was "free" per the original Verizon people with the return of his other phone is actually under contract for $600, if we leave Verizon, we will have to pay whatever hasn't been paid off on it. i.e. my phone costs $40 per month just to stay activated. His phone is only $20 now but he pays $25 per month towards the phone rental. So, to leave Verizon would mean we would have to pay off remaining balance of the rental. We cannot return the phone even if we do not want it. So crazy! Scams all scams!! I just shake my head. We will wait until August, buy the phone out and leave Verizon for good.
<<

1mtnhiker

Post Fri May 13, 2016 6:36 pm

I went to T Mobile, got a new Iphone which I am paying monthly, interest free. They also bought out my Verizon contract on a V cell phone that I used as emergency back up. No contracts with that company. Yesterday I saw a similar sign on Sprint's window. They ask you to send a copy of your final Verizon bill, and they send you a credit card for the amount owed payable only to Verizon. (They don't want us to go shopping.) You bring it to a Verizon store, they credit your account, and your relationship with the fools is terminated. It was a few days late coming from when the bill was due but not enough to get charged a late fee. I love TMobile. Really nice folks and great follow thru. Good luck.

Maddy ("I am at my wit's end" was what I shared on this blog.)
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Sat May 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks for sharing! You may save other from similar headaches :D

~M
<<

JLWentz0807

Post Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Long day!! And sorry, I don't know how to start a new threa

Ok. I am venting, and please understand that I have medical issues (tough ones), and today was a rough day....so here goes:

Recently, on June 3 of 2016 to be exact, I purchased four Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phones, courtesy of *you guessed it* Verizon Wireless. I suppose I have myself to blame as I swore I would be switching carriers this time out...I MEAN IT THIS TIME, I really AM!!! Unfortunately, I hear too many other people complaining of dropped calls, and I guess I didn't want my husband's business to suffer as a result. He does use the phone regularly for customer calls.

Anyway, with the phones IN THE BOXES STILL, and my sons gleefully grinning from ear to ear, we headed to a popular electronics retailer, to purchase covers and screen protectors for my new investments. Let's face it...they are indeed that at the premium they are charging for these phones!! No way was I taking a chance of breakage or any other issues, even though these phones are waterproof, they are not shatterproof.

And so it began the taxing journey of learning how to pretend that I know how to use my new phone, as I switched from the I-Phone. What an adventure it has been so far!! My son has derived great pleasure at my expense, as I attempt to learn how to use this new device. Yukking it up, at my expense, but with a lot of love of course. We recently took a family vacation, about two weeks ago. He said to me "Mom, what is that on your phone?". I innocently replied with "what??" Apparently, that pretty pink line running up and down the left side of my phone is NOT supposed to be there. In my defense, it was 75% obscured by my cover. He informed me that it was most likely a dead pixel, and that I needed to get it to the store ASAP for a return. Wellllllll......NOT SO MUCH.

At approximately 12 noon today the 26th of June, we arrived at my local Verizon store. At the door, we were greeted by a young man and I told him about the dreaded "death" of my pixel. He asked for my phone number, which I dutifully provided. I showed him my pretty pink line, and said that it had been like that for approximately two weeks, maybe longer....I just wasn't sure. "Ok, let me talk to the manager real quick". It was at this point that my day changed, for the worst.

Over saunters a young man, approximately 29, 30 years of age. He asked a few questions, which I answered politely and with great honesty. Now, here I was just expecting to hand over my busted brand new phone, and expecting to get a BRAND NEW PHONE back....but alas...this is "No longer our policy as we would lose money if we continued to do this". I said, "but I haven't even had the phone for a month". Over and OVER AND OVER, he repeated the 14 day "no worry, no bullshit" guarantee line. I said, well, I was on vacation AND I was sick as a dog for a week AND I have Stage IV cancer and was at chemotherapy Friday....I was tired and sick, and this was my first chance to get here.

Without skipping a beat, and doing an amazing job of totally ignoring EVERY WORD I HAD JUST SAID, this "gentleman" replied: "If you bought a new car, and had an accident, you wouldn't expect to return that car to the dealer and get a new car back would you??" I said, well, of course not, but this is hardly the same principle. He insisted it was. I insisted it was NOT. He insisted it was once more, and I said well young MAN, I did not HAVE an accident with the phone. I covered it within half an hour of buying it, it is in pristine condition, as you can see, just as it was when I purchased it, on JUNE THE THIRD, NEW!!!! I did not run the phone over with my car....I did not throw it against the wall...I did not take a hammer to the screen because I had a fight with my spouse....nothing of the sort. Furthermore, *and I bow my head with shame here, I have been a loyal Verizon customer for 16 years!! He sarcastically thanked me for same. I do not want a "certified LIKE-NEW refurbished because some other customer did not like it" phone. I want my phone replaced. I didn't just walk in and say "hey...I want my I-Phone back, I hate this phone, I can't figure it out (I can't, but that's besides the point)...I walked in with a defective phone, a really honest sad story as a loyal (albeit stupid) customer, and I just wanted a break. Doesn't anyone give anyone a break anymore in this world????? So, suffice to say, I walked out at that point, with my stunned 18 year old behind me, and thanked him for nothing. I was, admittedly, close to crying. I didn't used to be so weak, I swear, but cancer does this to you, especially end-stage....and I guess it doesn't take much anymore to upset me?? I dunno.

I immediately called Verizon's customer service, as soon as I stepped outside. I started to explain what happened, and then? I did the worst thing imaginable. I DID start to cry. My son, who is very protective of me, looked horrified. I tried to regain composure, not only to explain my story, but to wipe the sad look off of my son's handsome face. I finally got my story out, told the representative where I was, standing in the heat with a headache, outside of the Verizon Wireless store at Mercer County Mall, in New Jersey. She said she would try to contact the manager. I agreed to hold, grateful for the break to regain composure. She got back on the line, and told me he was "with another customer". Uh huh. Sure. There were a small handful of people inside...but alright. I said, ok...well...how long should I sit here and wait for you to call me back?? She said, hesitantly....ummm..... half an hour. Of course, an hour went by with nary a peep. I headed to the store, trying to do my grocery shopping for the day. My son, sensing my distress and watching me sniffle and walk around aimlessly through the store, decides to call VW customer disservice again. He gets an agent, I explain the story, she apologizes and then begins to tell me allll about the 14 day guarantee again. At this point, I attempt to explain my story all over again, and I just broke down. Hung up. I gave up for good as I had also called in the parking lot at the grocery store upon arrival there, and spoke with a really obnoxious gentleman trained in customer service as only Verizon representatives are...who cited that 14 day crap five times before I shrieked at him, and hung up.

Decide to head back to the Samsung booth at my local electronics store. I explain my story to them. They immediately suggest I "try taking the phone back to Verizon". I chuckle. Said, oh been there, tried that. He said, so even given your medical situation, and not being in the area, being sick, no sympathy?? I said, no. I got handed a bunch of bull by a snotty young manager. He apologized, and I then agreed to call Samsung later on, after I calmed down and took two aspirin for my headache.

So, that to say, I did call Samsung....got treated to a snotty representative there as well. I don't get it because I say "please" and "thank you"....I am polite to these people as I am sure they listen to much crap all day long. I suppose I must concede they deserve most of it after the day I have had...I have to mail my phone back. I don't know what I'll use in the meantime. I guess they don't care. I also guess I will get a refurbished, and like it!!

Seems to me that the "customer is always right" philosophy has changed, especially with Verizon. They don't care. Go ahead...switch....we double dog dare you!!!!

What a horrible bunch of snobs there...and they are quick to cite "I don't know why you say that...we were rated blah blah blah by JD Powers".

Stuff it. Seriously.

Thanks for letting my vent. It's time to take some more aspirin!!
<<

marcus

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:21 am

So sorry to hear all of that.

Try the number at the bottom of this page: http://www.verizonpathetic.com/faqinfo.html. It's an escalation number and they may be able to help.

Unfortunately the moral of the story is to NOT be a VZ customer. In fact, the best way you can protest is by canceling your contract and moving over to another carrier.

~M

Return to Verizonpathetic