faqoptions 2018-06-07T06:08:26+00:00

Let’s look at them one by one:

Filing a complaint with the FCC

The FCC can be somewhat hit/miss. Usually the threat of filing a complaint to them can be enough to motivate Verizon to do the right thing. The FCC is the governing body that creates the rules which all telecoms must follow. This link will bring you to the section where you can file.

People seem to get varied responses from the FCC, but it is worth a shot. You can use this option for both landline and wireless issues.

Filing a Complaint with the PUC/PSC

The acronyms stand for Public Utilities Commission and Public Service Commission. I have more faith in these bodies than the FCC, as they follow-up faster and more aggressively. The PUCs and PSCs both serve the same function, the only difference being that some states call it one name while other states call it the other.

They may be helpful in straightening out problems that you are having with your actual, physical service. Issues such as installation, download/upload speeds, no service, run arounds, etc. they can take care of. This solution is for landlines only.

Filing a Complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) wants to hear when you get ripped off by any business and they won’t hesitate to sue on your behalf and others. You should watch the video on this page and follow their steps. You can file a complaint for both landline and wireless.

Filing a Complaint with the Better Business Bureau

I never would have thought that the BBB would have much in the way of teeth, but a number of consumers have reported that filing a complaint with this organization was all they had to do in order to get Verizon to step up. It is well worth the time to visit this page and follow their steps. Whether wireless or landline, the BBB will forward your complaint and give Verizon 14 days to respond..

Class Action Suits

Class action suits will not do much for the individuals involved in the suit with the exception of whoever is the lead plaintiff and the lawyers. For example, people sometimes receive small checks in the mail as a result of a suit that they did not even know they were a part of. Although the award may be for millions of dollars, divide it out between thousands of awardees, a lead plaintiff and an expensive lawyer and you might walk away with a $10.00 check.

The Attorney General

Often the Attorney General’s office is the best choice out of all the options listed so far. Each state has an attorney general who keeps a record of all complaints that are received. Typically it does not take a great many complaints for their office to begin stirring things up, and they have no conflicting interests that may prevent them from wanting to assist you. Additionally, you will at least receive a call or a letter letting you know what they can do for you. You can find your AGs office by visiting this page that lists all of them. From there, visit their website and contact them. For both landline and wireless.

Small Claims Court

If you have an issue that centers around an amount of a few thousand dollars or less, then this is most likely your ticket.

First of all, the maximum allowable amount one can sue for in small claims court is dependent on the state. For some states it’s $2,000 while for another it may be $3,000. You can undoubtedly determine the exact figure for your state by doing a search on-line.

The reason why this is an exceptionally effective tactic is because Verizon only thinks of one thing…$$$. Therefore, they will do the math and determine whether or not it’s less expensive for them to settle with you or if they should send a $400/hour attorney to the courthouse to argue their side. I learned this first hand from a Verizon employee, and then used it myself to recoup some of my early losses. To be honest, it’s worked 100% of the time thus far for anyone who I have suggested it to. Now that it’s a proven strategy, I am more than happy to promote it.

The process will entail going to the courthouse, paying a nominal fee, filling out a form and then returning it back to the courthouse. You will both receive a court date very shortly. Then one of two things will happen: either a rep from Verizon will show up on that date or instead you will receive a letter from Verizon asking you to accept an amount that is slightly less than what you were asking for. This is done so Verizon can comfortably say that there was no admission of guilt and that your acceptance of the check confirms this. When filling out the form, you will need their corporate address which is: Verizon Communications, 140 West Street New York, NY 10007

Also, in some states if they do not respond within the 30 day window, you are allowed to sue them for triple the damages. In order to do this however, you have to spell it out using the particular legal jargon associated with your state. Consult any of the courthouse administrators about this.

Works for both landlines and wireless.